What are your thoughts on central vac? One thought is that since we are most likely going to have the walls opened up then this is the time to install it. The other thought is that the 30 ft hoses are annoying to store and lug around (even with one outlet per floor).
We found two companies that install them in Ottawa. Supervac sells the Canovac which is made by a company in Owen Sound (founded in 1968). The other company is Vacuum Ottawa and they sell Nilfisk central vacs (Swedish). They have a special on right now for the Fall Home Show (20% off and no tax). Both are comparable in terms of cost to install and would be flexible in terms of when it goes in (i.e., when the walls are open which is who knows when). Is having central vac worth the $1000 price tag?
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I really miss my parents' central vac. I'd much rather lug around a 30ft hose than lug around an upright vacuum cleaner. It makes it soooo much easier to do stairs, and maintains suction a lot longer between emptyings of the canister, too.
-Kristina
I've never had a central vac, so take my comments with a grain of salt....but I think it makes more sense to invest the money in an excellent stand-up vacuum. Cheaper, plus, avoids any type of issues that might arise if the central vac breaks and then you're stuck opening up the walls again....
Maria
I love that the two of you are giving your feedback in our house reno project. It means a lot to me that people are out there participating in this project in their own way..... thanks.
As my grandmother is still learning to use the internet (and is a little shy), I am writing this comment on her behalf. She said that she had central vac in one of her homes and loved it so if we have then chance to do it we should! Thanks, Gran.
This posting is in place of a phone call. The suggestion from many is to go with the vents near the floor where you can sweep dirt into and it just disappears! What an idea....
Post a Comment