Today was the Ottawa Fall Home Show where we attended a seminar put on by our Design-Build company. Watching him talk about "what you really need to consider when building or renovating green" made us even more excited about our project. I really don't think that we are "thinking green" to be part of the trend. I really think that we are committed to the challenge and opportunity.
During the presentation and under the heading "Plan Ahead for a Green Project" the audience was asked to think about establishing priorities for their project - is energy efficiency the most important thing to you? indoor air quality?
My gut reaction is energy efficiency first, but with indoor air quality as a close second. Maybe I want (and expect) too much. In our case though I think that we can follow through with this if we make the effort now. I recognize that we are in a unique situation due the fact that we can enter this game in the first place (old house in a great neighbourhood with a great location and the ability to actually undertake a renovation). The upfront costs may be high but the pay back is there. The example I heard the other day has to do with commuting. By living where we are and not having to drive long distances to work (even walk/bike to work) then we are paying the upfront costs for the location instead of paying for it over the years in gas, etc.
One of the other priority areas could be water conservation. I am going to dedicate a separate blog entry to this subject....
Of course there are other priority areas such as material selection and water diversion/reduction... what are your priorities in terms of money/effort spent for green?
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment